10 January 2018
The backwards pajama only worked for A DAY! She has been super naked all month and frankly it has been really difficult.
We are NOT in Charlotte yet, even though December is over. We are staying with the sainted Petersons again until the (cross your fingers) 22nd.
13 December 2017
The First Half of December:
06 December 2017
Here is what happened after November:
1. Calvin continued to play with his homemade bow and arrow from Thanksgiving at the Clarks'. We all took a go at it last Sunday at dinner and we were all pretty good. Robin Hoods all around.
2. Charlotte made a ton of progress: paint, floors, cabinets and then absolutely nothing happened for almost a week. Then today they installed the light fixtures.
3. Our landlord sold our house and is closing January 5th, so #2 has gotten stressful.
4. We got our Christmas tree from the same tree place outside Fisher Home Furnishings that we always go to, and despite all the warnings from the internet, it was only $40 (they were saying they're like $100 this year).
5. I have shopped almost all that I'm going to Christmas shop; just a couple of things left for Nate.
6. The weather snapped from warmish sweatshirt weather (see above photo) to highs in the 20s and everyone wearing coats, socks (which is a big deal), boots, hats, and mittens to leave the house.
7. The kids had checkups and flu shots, and Calvin's eyes were tested in front of me and he couldn't see the bottom two lines. Guys. She said it's not actually a problem yet, but if it gets worse he'll need glasses. Which stinks. Not because of how he'll look--adorable, of course--but because it's another thing to break and lose and honestly, how do kids play sports with glasses on? I will have to act like I don't think it's a drag, but I really do.
27 November 2017
The cold November sunrises have been so pretty this year, which I have noticed even though I usually only see them while running on Saturdays because they happen so late in the morning. I see plenty of sunrises in the summer when I'm up and running with ample time to be home before Nate leaves for work, but those sunrises are usually pretty pale and white. In the fall, early before-work runs are less likely to happen and are pitch black (aka not happening at all), so when I run later in the morning I see the glorious sunrise, pink/orange/purple/gold fading to blue. I got three days in a row of that last week thanks to Thanksgiving.
23 November 2017
21 November 2017
20 November 2017
I actually complain about running on the treadmill all the time; how ungrateful can I be! What if I just couldn't run during naptime or during a blizzard or when it's dark? I would run 90% less in the cold dark months, and 100% less for the last two weeks. But as it is, I ran every day, listened to a ton of podcasts, paid nothing for a gym, and never had to leave my children alone or go at an inconvenient time. Also, have I mentioned, it was a hand-me-down and FREE? THANK YOU TREADY MC TREADERTONS!
17 November 2017
16 November 2017
13 November 2017
I have always wished for musical talent. Sometimes you just want to sing out at the top of your voice, "JOY TO THE WORLD!" but if your voice doesn't reach the high notes sometimes you don't really want to anymore. That's why I like that we sing hymns every single week at church; I have lots of chances to practice and sing out with people who aren't going to look down their nose at my flat notes. But even if they did, like the pros at the New Haven ward may have done, I wouldn't actually care, because it just feels good to sing your devotion. Hitting the high notes would be nice, sure, but I'll take it either way. (I have a sort of theory that this is why Christmas music is so popular with the public at large.)
10 November 2017
I remember a few years ago it seemed like everyone blogged and everyone who blogged did a November month of Thanksgiving posts and I really liked that idea, but you know, when everyone else does something it is harder to do it...But luckily, now, no one blogs! So I can do it. Ten days late. Here I go.
I'm thankful for
Charlotte! She is coming along nicely, and we are going to be able to live there next month. Next month! What. They have installed the windowsills and baseboards, and poured the driveway and walkway this week. I have decorated it in my head, and I am getting pretty excited to get it all done in real life. Next month.
I'm thankful for
02 November 2017
Halloween night was so pretty. The weather was ideal. The children were all into their costumes. Nate was an amazing spaceman. I was, of course as always, Rosie the Riveter. If you ask me, the best kind of kid costumes are home-put-together, non-sewing-required, and something the kid likes. Norah's Pooh Bear is sort of a cheat, because it was handmade by Gromma Trudy in the 80s and probably took a lot of time, but it didn't take US any effort (and she wore it last year too, do you remember?).
13 October 2017
07 October 2017
It seems like Norah had to wait forever for school to start. She goes to a little preschool a couple of blocks away (right next to our old 1941 house, in fact), and we usually walk with Maggie in the stroller. Maggie still can't get used to seeing her go inside the house without us; she does her classic Maggie shrug, saying "Hey? Hey?" super confused about where Sis is going alone. Norah does not seem to mind at all, on the other hand. She doesn't seem shy about it and is always happy to go and is happy afterward. I don't get a lot of info about her time there, though. "Tell me three things about your class today." "Recess was boring, I had to go down the slide, and we ate fishy crackers." Hm.