16 October 2013

calvin, he's the cheeky one

Calvin is playing buttons.

But 2013 ushered in the age of Calvin wanting to watch a show at all times, and so 1,2,3:

1. I think it's weird when human kids and animal kids are playmates in kid shows. Also when some animals are anthromorphized (that may be a fake wordization) and some are not.

2. I do not like shows (or books!) that are about the small child disliking something or being afraid and then supposedly learning to get over it. Because usually it's something Calvin wouldn't have known he was supposed to not like or be afraid of. He is oblivious to that stuff on his own.

3. I only had two.

Right now Chuck the Truck is his favorite.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Just so you know, the Thomas reference in the title was not lost on me! We've been on a huge Thomas kick lately. Also, Niko has started to want to watch TV all the time too and I'm not pleased but a little at a loss as to how to stop it (other than always playing outside, which is hard cause I love being inside). Anyways, good luck with your cheeky calvin :-)

melissa said...

I think it's anthroPOmorphized. I remember as a teen once asking a friend's father if he liked "the march of the penguins," and he said "No, I don't believe in the anthropomorphization of animals." That took me aback a bit and I have been thinking about it on and off ever since. Now that I have kids, though, I think what bothers me even more than the strange animal/human mixes on kids' shows is the nature documentaries where the narrators inject pretty intense levels of human drama into the animal interactions. The kids get all super worried about it, and while, no, I don't think animals are brainless, spiritless, or feeling-less, isn't there enough heartbreak that 5-year-olds are worried about or will eventually become worried about in the human world without having to cry about a broken penguin egg??