17 July 2017

runner?


I guess I am really a runner, but most of the runners I know are really really runner runners. I don't look like a runner. I am not a competitive runner, or a fast one, or an ambitious one.  But I think it's the running between 20 and 30 miles every week thing that makes me a runner regardless of that. 

So that's why I ran a half marathon on Saturday. I just run, so I did. 

My family gave up their whole morning to follow me around and yell, and wave, and jump up and down when they saw me. That's a good enough reason to run a race, if you ask me. 

I finished 8 minutes slower than when I ran the Top of Utah half in 2012. I guess when you put it that way it doesn't sound too bad, but I knew I'd be disappointed if I were slower and I also knew I'd be slower. I was right on both counts! I was only 2 minutes slower than I had really wanted to be (2 hours) and to tell you the truth, I don't think I could have shaved those two minutes off, unless my family showed up every 1/2 mile to push me forward. And then only if they were holding an ice cold freshly-squeezed lemonade to entice me forward. (I got one of those at the finish.) 

2 comments:

Catherine Stricklan said...

I think you know some really intense runners, but you are most definitely a runner (I think some people would call you an intense runner)!

julis said...

You could make a million bucks by designing a running hat that dangled an ice-cold lemonade just in front of you! I'm telling you, a million bucks! p.s. I'm proud of you for being a runner. I ran when you were young, but I never ran 20 to 30 miles per week, let alone a half marathon.